[PLUG] Re: Problem during Mandriva Linux 2006 installation

Kapil D. Pendse kapil.pendse at gmail.com
Sat Apr 29 23:15:54 IST 2006

Hello!

A little late I guess, but earlier this mail had bounced off this list, so
resending...

> > | I have Mandriva Linux 2006. But while installing it on my computer my
> > | SATA HDD is not detected. It give error like "no hard drive found" . So
> > | is there is support for SATA in Mandriva Linux 2006?
> > | My computer spec is AMD 64bit processor, ASUS A8N-SLI Delux with nVidia
> > | chipset, Seagate SATA HDD.
> > |
> > | Please help me.
> >
> > AFAIK, most distros don't have SATA module comipled in the kernel
> > which come with the installer of that distro. You need to compile the
> > SATA support once you install the OS. I think FC5 supports SATA during
> > installation. Please cross verify before you decide to shift to FC5.
> >
> > Shantanoo
>
> Suse 10 has SATA support, which is available during installation.

I don't think its a problem with the distro you are using. Even I have
installed SuSE 10.0 and Mandriva 2006 on my desktop which has a Seagate SATA
disk with Intel 865GBF motherboard.

The problem could be because of incorrect BIOS settings. I've been using this
desktop since 2 years and never had a problem with any distro after I made
the necessary BIOS changes. I suggest that you search PLUG archive for my
mails regarding this. There were SATA related discussions on PLUg few months
back. I think reading those should help you.

Please do go through PLUG archive and google before dumping your favourite
distro! :-)

Regards,
Kapil

--
"The Power to Imagine, is The Power to Create!"
-TTux