[PLUG] Distro selection

sudhanwa Jogalekar sudhanwa.com at gmail.com
Thu Aug 3 23:41:26 IST 2006

On 8/3/06, Aditya Godbole <aag.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
> I'm a bit out of touch with the latest and greatest distributions out
> there. I would like suggestions for a distribution that meets the
> following criteria -
> 1. For desktop use, for folks who cant use the CLI.
> 2. Machine - Intel hyperthreading, 512 MB RAM, about 10G of disk space
> available for the system, no other fancy hardware. Net access via
> PPPoE.
> 3. GUI based tools for system configuration.
> 4. Importing existing users during installation would be a great.
> 5. Option to skip bootloader installation.
> 6. No broadband access, so all software thats required should be there on discs.
>
> I hope I'm not expecting too much :)
>
> Thanks.
> --
> aditya
>
> --

Hi,

Mandriva can be the right choice.
Not very sure what/why you want in point 5. All other points are
already covered there. During instalation, it will tell you the old
user names and will ask to keep them.

It has skype, Opera and many other things which are probably not there
by default in other distros.

If a dumb person like me can use it without any problems for any of
the desktop level usage, I suppose anybody else can use it with
absolute ease. (and considering your points in mind)

:-)

-Sudhanwa
ps: you may check out the features in the coming release.