[PLUG] Distro selection

Shirish Agarwal shirishag75 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 4 10:19:55 IST 2006

> Message: 7
> Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 13:36:42 +0530
> From: "Desi Penguin" <desipenguin at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] Distro selection
>
> On 8/3/06, Aditya Godbole <aag.lists at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> > Hi all,
>> > I'm a bit out of touch with the latest and greatest distributions out
>> > there. I would like suggestions for a distribution that meets the
>> > following criteria -
>> > 1. For desktop use, for folks who cant use the CLI.
>> > 2. Machine - Intel hyperthreading, 512 MB RAM, about 10G of disk space
>> > available for the system, no other fancy hardware. Net access via
>> > PPPoE.
>> > 3. GUI based tools for system configuration.
>> > 4. Importing existing users during installation would be a great.
>> > 5. Option to skip bootloader installation.
>> > 6. No broadband access, so all software thats required should be there on
>> > discs.
>> >
>> > I hope I'm not expecting too much :)
>> >

> Not sure I understand #4. Are you upgrading an existing linux system ?
> About rest of the requirements, most modern distro support all of these.
> Ubuntu, SuSE, Mandriva, Knoppix .

Hi Aditya,
          I don't know much about the other distros but few things about
Ubuntu :-
1. Ubuntu works for the 1st 3 criteria without any issues. The only
thing is somewhat with SATA hdd's or so it seems.
        Also whether it's a SATA-2 issue or SATA-1 also I've yet to get
it clarified.
2. The bootloader installation is done automatically with the live cd.
The only way to  not go tht way is with the 'alternate '
     installer .iso. I do have a copy mail me if needed.
3. There is also a DVD that Ubuntu has, unlike the other distros, there
is no 1-5 CD although I'm sure that could be done.
      I don't have a DVD-writer hence didn't download tht one.
                                                  That's it from me.

			--
This work is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 2.5 License. To view a copy of this license, visit http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/2.5/ or send a letter to Creative Commons, 543 Howard Street, 5th Floor, San Francisco, California, 94105, USA.