[PLUG] Re: Using TC editor In Linux

श्रीधर नारायण दैठणकर ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Thu Aug 31 07:17:29 IST 2006

On Thursday 31 August 2006 01:06, Archis Gore wrote:
> I feel vi beats them all when it comes to one-file C progs!

I have developed small to medium to large size projects in C/C++ and here are
my observations
- letting an IDE maintain your makefiles is almost always a mistake. Creating
makefiles isn' rocket science. Furthermore actual thing one has to write,
e.g. Makefile.am/Jamfile are so simple, it doesn't take 5-10 lines per
modules. IDE generated makefiles are often problematic to migrate when IDE is
upgraded..
- A good editor is essential. The project management part of it is almost a
fluff.

I use konsole/kate and my primary development environment but I don't develop
GUI app yet. Even with Qt GUI apps, I have worked in a similar mode in past
without losing any productivity,  and still keeping things simple.

 Shridhar