[PLUG] Broadband (Iqara/YOU) on OpenSuse 10.1 HOWTO

Aditya Laghate laghatea at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 10:15:09 IST 2006

On 12/7/06, Manas Ranade <manas.ranade at gmail.com> wrote:
> OS: OpenSuse 10.1 from LFY magazine.
>
> Pre-requisite information:
> Statis IP address
> Subnet Mask
> Default Gateway
> DNS Servers
> Hardware:
> I use Motorola SurfBoard SB5100 cable modem which is detected
> automatically by OpenSuse 10.1.
>
> 3. Install Roaring Penguin (rp-pppoe-3.8). After install, during config -
> Give static IP, subnet mask, gateway and DNS info (apart from
> username, pwd, ethernet link to use - eth2).
> 4. Connect using roaring penguin and you'll be on your way.

Hey Manas,

If the ISP has provided you with static IP and other details, why do
you need the
rp-pppoe?

I have YOU Telecom connection (same cable modem) with a static IP
address. I simply plug-in the network cable into my debian based box
and configure the network card with the IP address, netmask, etc. It
works just fine. and just to have an always on connection, I have
said, activate on boot.

My network config file for your perusal

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
        address 123.123.123.123
        netmask 255.255.255.224
        gateway 123.123.123.123
        dns-nameserver 203.187.192.12 203.187.192.15

(I have substituted 123.123.123.123 instead of my actual IP address)

Cheers
Aditya