[PLUG] C/C++ IDE for *inux systems?

श्रीधर नारायण दैठणकर ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Wed Dec 20 09:41:23 IST 2006

On Wednesday 20 December 2006 08:48, Kaustubh Gadkari wrote:
> > Yeah.. try copy/pasting 2 and 1/2 lines with vi.. ;) and using gvim and
> > talkling about vi should be banned..
> >
> > Hmm...yeah.
>
> As for the original post, I think it is definitely worth learning either
> vi(m) or emacs, for a beginner. I would suggest learning both, just to see
> which one you like more. Personally, I use both.

I agree that it is worth learning. I only object to people who decry the
alternatives especially without trying them out enough.

Vi is good but it has limitations. One should know it for sure. You will find
it in almost all unix installations, while same cannot be said about emacs.

And for beginners I think pico is better than vi. It is almost always there,
at least on linux and has a on screen menubar for helping out. Not to mention
that it is an editor, not an IDE.

Shridhar