[PLUG] C/C++ IDE for *inux systems?

Shakthi Kannan shakthimaan at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 20 23:00:25 IST 2006

Hi Ashish,

--- Ashish Belagali <belagali at gmail.com> wrote:
> (b) What could be the reasons anybody would want to
> learn vi or emacs?
> than vi. But I am
> curious... any other use?

I don't know about vi, but, can tell you why I use GNU
emacs.

1. Buffers. You are directly dealing with system
buffers. So, moving between text is fast, really fast.

2. Code browsing. Try using emacs code browser:

  http://ecb.sourceforge.net/

for source code referencing. You can also use GNU
global (gtags, htags):

http://www.gnu.org/software/global/

3. Console. I can get a console environment with M-x
shell. I don't need to open another application just
to run commands.

4. Emacs also has a gdb mode which you can use for
debugging programs.

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/7876

5. I use emacs-planner to manage my tasks, project
work, travel schedules, notes etc. at work and at
home.

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/PlannerMode

Its just another buffer, and you can switch between
buffers.

6. You can also use IRC with emacs, say, chatting on
irc.freenode.net or irc.oftc.net.

So, its just one application with lot of buffers, and
you can use the keyboard to switch very quickly
between them.

Try opening up a separate application for each of the
above tasks in a X window environment and use the
mouse to do your tasks. You will see how "productive"
and "fast" you are :)

Moving your hand to the mouse slows you down. Hence,
good programmers _always_ use GNU Emacs.

There is quite a lot more to it which I have not
explored. Someday I will.

HTH,

SK

--