[PLUG] Why are students/colleges not using *nix systems

Hemant Mohan hmohan at gmail.com
Thu Dec 21 21:28:41 IST 2006

> Problems:
> ---------------
> 1. Most of the college labs find it easy to install M$ systems on
> larger scales, cos the network configuration ease [read tools easily
> available] Firewalls and restrictions implementing softwares [just
> click click click]
> 2.  Most of the profs are also not that well versed with *nix systems
> and have some apprehension to work on them, prefer M$ cos of usability
> issues
> 3. Since most of the students do not get exposed to *nux systems in
> colleges the non-adventurers too develop an inhibition for it.
> 4. Most of the colleges teach C/C++ on Borland or Turbo C [DOS]
> versions and not on *nix systems.
>
> Solutions
> -------------
> 1. For allowing more colleges to adopt *nix systems, we people
> can/should volunteer to teach and assist the college staff to setup
> systems, and provide support [at a nominal fee]
> 2. Have more lectures in colleges to get students acquainted with the
> system. 3. Guide them how to use vi/emac [or ur favourite IDE] with ease
> for development.
>
> Please add yours suggestions to the list.

Another issue that I have observed during interviews of college freshers, most
of them do projects on pirated versions of various M$/other platforms.  Many
colleges in and around Pune use only pirated software, instead of going for
FOSS.

--
Say NO to Monopolies. Boycott MICRO$OFT
Registered Linux user #367178,  http://counter.li.org