[PLUG] More frequent PLUG meetings

Arindam arindam.mukerjee at gmail.com
Tue Dec 26 11:31:22 IST 2006

On 12/25/06, sudhanwa Jogalekar <sudhanwa.com at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 12/24/06, Shakthi Kannan <shakthimaan at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > --- Devendra Laulkar <devendralaulkar at yahoo.com>
> > wrote:
> > > The issue is that the number of people attending the
> > > monthly meetings is less. Also, few people take up
> > > seminars/talks at the existing meetings.
> >
> > That is true in most GLUGs in India. Its usually more
> > "virtual" volunteers who participate via e-mails and
> > give ample suggestions, but, very few who contribute
> > in a physical activity for the group. Remember, India
> > is still a developing country, and not everyone is
> > connected online.
> >
> > > However from what I know, PLUG is the only LUG which
> > > is having consistent monthly meetings. Probably no
> > > other LUG can claim this.
> >
> > http://chennailug.org/wiki/?title=Events
> >
> > http://chennailug.org/wiki/?title=2005
> >
> > Honestly, it doesn't matter which is the best. Whether
> > our objectives/work on FOSS in India is *satisfactory*
> > is the real question.
> >
> > SK
> >
> > --
> > Shakthi Kannan
> > http://www.shakthimaan.com
> >

> Well,
> Just checked my mailbox..
> First meeting of PLUG was held on Sunday 29 August, 1999 @ QVPL
> office. ( I think there were some informal meetings happened before
> that and also for about a year after that meeting at various locations
> like COEP Boat Club etc.)
>
> There are so many other confirmation messages found...
>
> Nobody has mentioned about "Who is the Best" . Whatever the reasons
> may be, the fact remains that compared to the number of people on the
> list, there ar every less people attending the meetings. and I think
> it is true for all the LUGs we know. Probably, people cant afford to
> spend some 3 hours in a month for spending with like minded people.

Sir, I completely agree with that concern. But it is possible that two
meetings in place of one will see more people attending at least one
of the two. I know that's debatable - attendance could remain lean.
And I somehow feel that it is a vicious cycle too. With less people
attending, there is less face-to-face activity, seminars, workshops,
whatever. And that means less fun for people attending it and they
move away after a while. Old timers (I am not one of them) who have
seen this LUG develop and shaped it, will not move away that easily
but others will.

I just feel, that along with more frequent meetings, a more packed
schedule of talks / activities, which we rigorously follow and do not
deviate from, will be a strong indicator that we are growing in terms
of knowledge sharing and there is more fun in what we are doing.

May be some form of roadmap, highlighting some of the focus areas,
will be of great help. I would definitely want to be of help in any
and all of it and I know there are people already out there, regular
in the meetings and committed to the cause of this LUG who would be of
help too.

And I just hope that these suggestions are taken in the correct light
- just because there are too many virtual volunteers who never show
up, making a good suggestion should not be outlawed - nor acting on
it.

> /me trying to catch Aditya G. for the PLUG archives CD.
>
> -Sudhanwa
>
> --

Against stupidity, the very Gods themselves contend in vain --
Friedrich Schiller