[PLUG] Upgrade ubuntu without losing applications.

A G subscrive at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 14 09:34:41 IST 2006

> On Thu, 2006-07-13 at 12:56 +0100, A G wrote:
> >
> > So if I do sudo apt-get dist-upgrade, those extra
> > applications will be removed.
>
> If mandriva is upgraded from a clean system, it
> should work.
>
> If any custom libs/apps are installed, there are
> possibilities of
> hiccups. These 3rd party lib/apps must not interfere
> with newer libs
> ( to be installed ), existing libs/apps on system.

I didnt understand your clean install thing or
assumption of 3rd party not interfering.

Let me repeat my problem.
Consider that last year I hv installed
mandriva/ubuntu. I remove few apps that were installed
by default. I installed other apps from
mandriva/ubuntu repository. I also installed 3rd party
apps like real player, nerolinux etc.
Now my OS is completely customised to my need.

Now if I do a distro upgrade of mandriva/ubuntu, will
my settings, applications, 3rd party apps get messed
up?
I read on some site that few apps are auto uninstalled
since the latest version do not have them and 3rd
party apps might not work.
If this is the case, can anyone tell me any flag, or
any method to avoid this while upgrading the distro?

~A.