[PLUG] Re: Unicode file names - Are they same on Windows and Linux

Shantanoo Mahajan shantanoo at gmail.com
Thu Jul 20 01:59:02 IST 2006

+++ G Karunakar [PLUG] [20-07-06 00:54 +0530]:
| On 7/19/06, Udayraj <udayrajb at gmail.com> wrote:
| >
| >Hello List
| >Please excuse for the long post, but read carefully.
| >
| >Situation:
| >I use a dual boot system, Windows 2003 + Open Suse 10.1 in my
| >Institute. I have Indic support installed in both, and use a common
| >partition(ext3) in windows & linux to store documents.
| >
| >Problem:
| >When I name a file in marathi under linux it's name does not apper in
| >marathi under windows, instead it shows some other characters or
| >simply ?????.txt, ______.doc. Linux too refuses to recognize the
| >windows file names in marathi. Sometimes I can not copy, use or delete
| >files from the OS under which I have not created them.
| >
| >Interesting thing is that both OSs recognize the Unicode content
| >created in the either OS properly, But not file/folder names or ID3
| >tags in mp3 files ( Metadata ? )
| >
| >Question:
| >Are there two unicode standards for indic? If no what's the problem?
| >How do I solve it?
|

| Windows uses  native 16bit unicode, ie each char is 2bytes. Linux
| uses UTF-8 format of unicode to be ascii compatible ( see man
| unicode / utf8 ).  Though i think there should be a way in linux
| to read windows unicode filenames properly & doubt if windows will
| read utf-8 file names.
|
| Karunakar
| --

I think the problem is with the filename and not the content of the
file. Maybe the driver used in windows to read/write to ext3 stores
information in some different format especially the meta-data in FS.

I may be wrong as I don't know may things regarding the driver. Maybe
OP can put some more light on this/

Shantanoo

--
If your biz plan depends on you suddenly being "discovered" by some big
shot, your plan will probably fail.