[PLUG] Unable to use the root account in FC5

Prateek Tandon smilingindian at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 11:25:56 IST 2006

Dear friend,
                I am unable to use the root account in Fedora Core 5.
After booting up, I enter the username root and then type the correct
password. Then it logs in into root - it shows the Fedora splash
screen but then this splash screen disappears showing only a dark blue
screen. It does not load anything - no nautilus, no desktop, nothing.
I have no option but to press the reset button on the computer tower
and after booting up I am able to login into a user account (non-root
and which does not have administrator or super user rights) and use it
perfectly without any problems. Also, in this user account, I am able
to create another account having root and administrator rights (after
typing the password for root) but once I try to login into it, it
gives me an error. Any solutions?
                Also, I was wondering, is the standard Linux vanilla
kernel a monolithic or a hybrid kernel ? And, are there viruses on the
Linux platform, because SUSE Desktop Linux 10.1 has a built in
antivirus?
               Thank you,
      Regards,
Prateek Tandon.