[PLUG] Unable to use the root account in FC5

श्रीघर नारायण दैठणकर ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Fri Jul 21 11:41:05 IST 2006

On Friday 21 July 2006 11:25, Prateek Tandon wrote:
> Dear friend,
>                 I am unable to use the root account in Fedora Core 5.
> After booting up, I enter the username root and then type the correct
> password. Then it logs in into root - it shows the Fedora splash
> screen but then this splash screen disappears showing only a dark blue
> screen. It does not load anything - no nautilus, no desktop, nothing.
> I have no option but to press the reset button on the computer tower
> and after booting up I am able to login into a user account (non-root
> and which does not have administrator or super user rights) and use it
> perfectly without any problems. Also, in this user account, I am able
> to create another account having root and administrator rights (after
> typing the password for root) but once I try to login into it, it
> gives me an error. Any solutions?

Boot into console mode and see if you can log in as root. If you can, then
problem is with X login with root account. Try startx >log.err 2>&1 and see
what errors turn up.
>                 Also, I was wondering, is the standard Linux vanilla
> kernel a monolithic or a hybrid kernel ?

- how does it matter?
- define monolithic andhybrid kernel. It seems that the definition of these
terms are in minds of the person.

Personally I think linuxis monolithic kernel. If you/somebody disagrees, I
don't mind. :)

> And, are there viruses on the
> Linux platform, because SUSE Desktop Linux 10.1 has a built in
> antivirus?

May be it is for scanning mails for windows viruses when the installation acts
as mail server. There are no known and wide-spread viruses in linux. There
are security vulnerabilities and patches but no viruses.

HTH

 Shridhar