[PLUG] Regarding installation of linux

Prateek Tandon smilingindian at gmail.com
Tue Jul 25 23:27:46 IST 2006

Dear Vinayak,
                    You first need to decide which version of Linux you want
from the hundreds available. Some of them are:
Fedora Core, SUSE Desktop Linux, Slackware, Mandriva, Ubuntu and so on. You
can go to www.linux.org to find out which version is suitable for you. Then,
using softwares such as Partition Magic, you need to resize your partitions
making sure partitioning does not wipe out data on Windows. The size of the
new partition depends upon which version and what features of Linux you are
installing. Also, you need to format the empty partition created to a Linux
file system such as ext2 or ext3 or whatever is needed by your version of
Linux. Then you can install Linux in that partition. Most installations of
Linux automatically update the boot loader so that you get a dual boot - at
the time when your PC starts, you get an option of Linux or Windows.
       Prateek.