[PLUG] This is seriously good

Vaibhav Kulkarni netvaibhav at gmail.com
Thu Jul 27 18:06:51 IST 2006

On 7/27/06, Ritesh Khadgaray <khadgaray at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-07-27 at 15:12 +0530, Atul Sowani wrote:
> > In general, a good article! I would like to share my thoughts on this
> > as an ordinary linux user. Please don't start any flame war on this,
> > as I am not trying to make any allegations on Linux - it might just be
> > that I am an incompetent user!
> >
> > Linux is VERT robust and very cleverly designed OS - no doubt about
> > it. Also, there is no doubt linux supports more devices than any other
> > OS, but as a user, I don't agree with this. The list of devices
> > supported on linux is BIG, but that includes old and new devices. That
> > way the number of devices supported will be huge, but how many
> > _latest_ devices are supported on linux "out of box"? I am not
> > kernel/OS internals/device drivers geek, but just an ordinary linux
> > user.
> >
> > Just to give an example, I installed a sound card in my PC which has
> > Win2000 and slackware linux 9.1/10.1 on it. When I installed the card
>
> the best i can say is, slackware by design is for expert( read bsd'ish)
> users.

Being bsd'ish is less of a problem than the hardware manufacturers not
giving the specs of their hardware. Reverse engineering the hardware
behaviour to write the drivers is always going to be sub-optimal than
writing them straight from the specs.
Graphics cards are the worst affected in this respect. Also WiFi.
Next time if you can't run your hardware on Linux, blame the
manufacturer, not Linux.

--
Vaibhav