[PLUG] This is seriously good

श्रीधर नारायण दैठणकर ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Sat Jul 29 19:40:32 IST 2006

On Saturday 29 July 2006 19:31, Ritesh Khadgaray wrote:
> > Which flavour of linux and windows can you mother install? My mom can't
> > even double click half the time and clicks way too many times if I set up
> > single click for her.
>
> everyone is different, with different level of skill/intelligence.

That is true. I don't deny that..

> > If you want to use linux,is it unfair to expect to keep handy one piece
> > of paper with some instructions and read everything on screen carefully
> > before proceeding?
>
> yes, it would be unfair as the saying goes
> even nipples are not intuitive interface.
>
> the point is, it would be easier for a user ( read newbie/windows user )
> to use point and click interface, then to type out commands/edit
> configuration files.

If you reread my post, I never said anything about typing commands and editing
files. I talked about reading what is on the screen. I can bet that even with
windows, people don't do that.

Just run around looking for Windows XP installation with all partitions being
VFAT. I know it is slightly complex but it isn't rocket science either..

> a weird example
> try deleting a file called "-rf *" from console.

irrelevant. The "HOWTO" I talked about would set machine up in KDE from the
boot. I do that myself in slackware all the time.

While I agree that this is endless debate, I want to assert that it is about
those who read what is on screen and those who don't. It has nothing to do
with point and click.

 Shridhar