[PLUG] Re: pppoe experience sharing (fc4,5 vsnl metro-ethernet)

Mayuresh mayuresh at acm.org
Wed Jun 14 22:49:58 IST 2006

I had posted some experience with setting up pppoe for above configuration.

Main problem was CHAP authentication failure and arbitrary amount of time
taken to wait for a PAP authentication request from server when the
connection would succeed. The time varied from a few seconds to a couple of
hours.

This problem got resolved simply by specifying the Access Concentrator name in
the network setup. One can get this name by using pppoe-discovery.

At least to me it was not so obvious that this setting would be necessary and
the way to get the string to specify there.

Mayuresh.