[PLUG] Minutes of meeting : Freedom Toaster

Aditya Godbole aag.lists at gmail.com
Tue May 9 16:32:16 IST 2006

On 5/9/06, Yash Vartak <vartak at vartakinc.com> wrote:

> 2) The project seems technically feasible and interesting to all Plug members
> 3) The estimated cost for the project (as per joint discussion) is Rs: 35,000
> (aprox)
> 4) The main hindrance in the project is recurring costs involved in
> maintaining the equipment. , volunteers

[snipped]

> Pluggies, did I miss out something ? If so request you to append the list !

The concept seems good; the implementation in the Indian context is
not very convincing.
A better approach would be -
1. Find someone ready to host and maintain the 'kiosk'.
2. Put a simple computer out there (who needs a fancy kiosk box)?
3. Write a program/script that presents an option driven interface and
does the job of selecting the software, asking the user to put in a
blank disc and burning the selcted software(s).
4. Authorised PLUG members regularly go and update or add to the
collection and change the config of the script accordingly.

Total cost = Intial machine with CD/DVD writer + maintenance.
The initial machine can even be a second hand P4 machine.

-aditya