[PLUG] Minutes of meeting : Freedom Toaster

Kunal Thakar kunalt at gmail.com
Tue May 9 22:57:11 IST 2006

On 5/9/06, Shridhar Daithankar <ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net> wrote:

> On Tuesday 09 May 2006 17:34, Devendra Laulkar wrote:
> > On Tuesday 09 May 2006 16:32, Aditya Godbole wrote:
> > <snip>
> >
> > > A better approach would be -
> > > 1. Find someone ready to host and maintain the 'kiosk'.
> >
> > Are you implying to have a person at every location who will actually
> burn
> > the cd's ?
> > Of course we will required to train staff regarding the use of toaster
> and
> > other details in general, but no person can be guranteed to be there at
> the
> > toaster location for something like 8 hours a day.
>
> Another approach could be take orders from the kiosk location such as
> venus
> traders an deliver CDs in 2-3 days. That way one doesn't have to come to
> PLUG meeting to get any CDs. We just extend current mechanism of CD
> distribution outside PLUG meetings.
>
> Just a though.
>
> Shridhar
>
> --

I like this idea. Although, the software kiosk idea is very nice, it will
require to be manned which is a very difficult proposition (volunteers or no
volunteers). The idea behind the kiosk should be to make Linux more visible
and thus generate more curiosity among junta, I think. Regarding the
placement of the kiosk, Venus traders etc would be hard to convince since
they dont have any incentive from a venture like this. I think putting up
the kiosks in colleges/IT companies is a better idea.

If we had a Indian version of Mark Shuttleworth, all our problems would have
been solved :)

Kunal