[PLUG] SATA Disk support

kapil pendse kapil.pendse at gmail.com
Fri May 12 19:08:48 IST 2006

On 5/12/06, Raghavendra Bhat <ragu at vsnl.com> wrote:
> Desi Penguin
> >> have Dell GX620 in my office. It has 80GB SATA disk.
> Do post the output for 'lspci -v' here.  Is this a desktop machine?
> Want to confirm the chipset for the sata controller.
> >> Neither Knoppix 4.02 LiveCD, nor Ubuntu Dapper Drake Flight 7 livecd
> can
> >> detect this disk
> Seems to be an issue with the driver for your sata disk in the hardware
> probe of these.
> >> Any suggestions ?
> The latest deban Etch netinst.iso may detect your drive/controller!
> --
> 73s de Ragu

Did you try changing any BIOS settings? You need to enable SATA controller
from BIOS. Also, there are some limitations about how many hard disk
controllers can be enabled at a time along with SATA (this is true on my PC
with mobo D865GBF).

I've been using my PC with Seagate SATA since 2004 without any problems.
Initially I too had come across this problem but once I made changes to
BIOS, it never was an issue again. Do check this up. I had posted details of
this solution to PLUG almost a year or more back. Please to search through
PLUG archives, although I'm not very sure whether they are available any
more after PLUG website moved to a new hosting service.

If you cannot find it, let me know, I'll tell you step by step. :-)

By the way, I've used SuSE 9.0 and Redhat 9 on my SATA 80GB disk, so latest
versions should not have any problems with this, I think its the BIOS
setting that needs to be altered.

Good luck!

"The Power to Imagine, is The Power to Create!"