[PLUG] Messaging solution

Aditya Godbole aag.lists at gmail.com
Tue May 16 14:04:58 IST 2006

On 5/16/06, Harshal Vaidya <harshalx at gmail.com> wrote:

> Shridhar,       Does IRC have general features like blinking wondows when a
> new message arrives, buddy lists, group creations etc. Last time I used it
> all these werent present.

Hi,
If you want a chatroom for collaborative development or discussions,
IRC is the best bet. If you want P2P, go for jabber. The best way is
to have both. If you are using Debian, the default installation of
both these start working out of the box. You might have to tweak the
config files a bit to fine tune the functionality.
All the features that you mentioned (like binking, buddy list, etc.)
are actually features of the client software, not the messaging
software itself. Konversation, for example is an IRC client which has
all the jazz that you need.

-aditya