[PLUG] Messaging solution

Shridhar Daithankar ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Tue May 16 20:39:58 IST 2006

On Tuesday 16 May 2006 19:01, Devendra Laulkar wrote:
> On Tuesday 16 May 2006 17:37, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
> > What exactly is this emacs thing that I keep hearing about? I once heard
> > that it is an os. Some other person said it is a shell and yet another
> > said that it is a desktop environment..
> >
> >  I always deselected it from slackware installation because I don't know
> > what the heck that is exactly.  :)
>
> Whatever the heck it is , atleast I don't have to worry about command mode
> and insert mode everytime I use emacs as an editor. And emacs indents code
> nicely, better than vi. (maybe there are options in vi to set the style,
> but I find the default indentation awful)

set tabstop=2
set ai

Looks better to me.

I use Kate. For me it gives,
- Auto brackets,
- show tabs,
- file lists,
- auto word completion,
- auto comment/uncomment(Depending upon file types, it is smart enough to
differentiate between makefile and source file while commenting)
- kio slaves integrated, so ftp/http/ssh/samba files are seamless
- with KDE 3.5, multiple named concurrent Kate sessions
- full session restore
- syntax highlighting(Nothing much to brag about, I know. I wrote couple of
syntax highlighters for vi myself)

I know vi and can use it without much trouble but Kate is better. I don't like
vi precisely because it has two modes. I mean come on, even edit.com of dos
could save for ^s.. and I hate two letter/keysequence  commands in emacs.
(Yeah, contrary to my earlier posting I did fiddle with it once or twice..;))

Shridhar