[PLUG] X window doesn't start on FC5

Shridhar Daithankar ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Thu May 25 19:49:48 IST 2006

On Thursday 25 May 2006 14:53, Prasad Kulkarni wrote:
> I tried installing FC5 from DVD in graphical mode but the X window never
> starts while installation. Some wierd screen comes up and installation
> never proceeds.
>
> I was able to install linux in text mode but after booting when I gave
> 'startx' or 'init 5' command then also X window doesn't start. Same wierd
> screen comes and nothing happens after that (waited for 10 mins).
>
> Has anyone faced similar problem or know how to troubleshoot it?

As root , do X -configure and  follow the instructions. You need to fill in
the modes in the generated config file and make the end of the config file,
look like similar to this.

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Card0"
        Monitor    "Monitor0"
        DefaultDepth 16
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     16
                Modes "1024x768"
        EndSubSection
EndSection

Then copy the config file as /etc/X11/xorg.conf. Then try startx.

This is the procedure if everything works. For everything else, there is
broadband, google and PLUG mailing list. :)

 Shridhar