[PLUG] how to enter in "Single user mode"

Arindam arindam.mukerjee at gmail.com
Thu Sep 7 11:34:39 IST 2006

> hi,
> i've recently installed FC4 in my system.
> every time i am login, i am loging in as "Root".
> now i want to login in shell prompt in "Sigle user
> mode"..can i do that??if so how??i don't want GUI at
> the time of bootup.

I am not entirely certain what you want to do. There is something
called Runlevel and Linux would boot into a particular run-level based
on settings in the /etc/inittab file - which is read by the init
process.

You can set your system to boot to Runlevel 1 - which is true Single
User mode. You change the default setting of -

id:5:initdefault:

id:1:initdefault:

However, I am assuming that you want to boot into the text console and
then move into the GUI when you want to. For that you should enter
Runlevel 3 - so again, change the /etc/inittab entry to:

id:3:initdefault:

**** Please keep a backup of a working copy of /etc/inittab each time
you change it.

Finally, on RedHat-like systems, like Fedora, you might boot into the
default Runlevel 5 (GUI) and switch to the text consoles (1-6) using
Ctrl+Alt+F<n> where n is F<n> is one of the Function keys F1 to F6. To
switch back to the GUI, use Alt+F7. To switch between text consoles,
use Alt+F1 ... Alt+F6.

> mentioning that i've not created any other users..
> i had asked this quest earlier,but i've not get the
> reply..
> thx & regds

You should create non-root users and assign them to appropriate user
groups. Use the following commands ... RTM:

groupadd - For adding groups
useradd - For adding users, creating their home directories and
creating default settings like default shell, etc.
passwd - To change the user's password
chfn - To change a user's finger info
chsh - To change a user's default shell
chown/chgrp - To change ownership / group ownership of the user's home directory

You might want to make a small interactive shell script and run it to
add any user at any point of time.

Cheers,
Arindam
-- To iterate is human, to recurse - Divine.