Use linux for what [was Re: [PLUG] Best Linux for Desktop Users]

श्रीधर नारायण दैठणकर ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Tue Sep 12 21:49:21 IST 2006

On Tuesday 12 September 2006 20:59, Pushparajan V wrote:
> and note that, many use *Linux*.. instead of GNU/Linux.. please..
> please change..
> use GNU/Linux always.. iam not an exception since i too corrected
> myself to use like that..  It creates respect to the GNU OS and makes
> users to know what GNU is? .

Doesn't matter because for me, GNU/Linux is to emphasize the freedom part of
it and Linux as a brand image does that. Saying GNU/Linux to me is same as
saying Linux to a person who hasn't heard anything else but windows..
Objective achieved.. ;)

Furthermore 'GNU/Linux' is technically as incorrect as 'Linux' since there are
many non-GNU things in a typical distribution, such as MIT/BSD/Apache/Mozilla
licensed etc.

Linux is correct if you understand that I don't use it to refer to the kernel.
Most people don't either.

 Shridhar