[PLUG] Booting Problem in Mepis: Distribution selection

Vikas Garud vikas at techqual.com
Wed Apr 18 15:54:25 IST 2007

On Wednesday 18 April 2007 11:53, ॐ wrote:
> Out of curiosity I checked Mepis.org.  I have been using Mandriva
SNIP

I am basically a computer user, not connected with programmeing, development,
IT etc.  With viruses and other threats and costs issues I looked into Linux
some 7/8 years back and liked the philosophy.  I am continuing to use it and
advocate its use whenever possible.  (It is not always possible, some sites,
like my sharebroker's, require Internet Explorer for doing business.)  During
last 7/8 years, I have traveled through many distributions.  My first
distribution was RedHat 5.0 which I received with RedHat Linux for Dummies.
I switched over to PCQ Linux 7.1 and used it for a few years.  Then I
switched to Mandrake 9.0, upgraded to 10.0 and used it for quite some time.
Later I bought a laptop (Toshiba R-10, Tablet PC) and looked at various
options about suitable distribution.  At that time SuSE Linux (10.0) scored
more than Mandrake (soon it became Mandriva).  It offered more options for
installation of softwares through internet.  I now have SuSE 10.2, installed
through internet (I have BSNL Dataone internet access) and is working fine on
the laptop (dual boot with win XP and a partition free to experiment with
other distributions.)
These have been RPM based installations.  On net and other references, people
have reported availability of a wider selection of softwares on Debian
platform.  So 3/4 months back, I searched through references and also looked
at distro-watch websites.  Mepis was top scorer in almost every review with
Ubuntu, SuSE and Mandriva being close second or third.  (This was for my
desktop, more used for entertainment purpose by kids.)  And it did offer a
wider selection of applications, particularly games!
It is not too much hassle to switch over to Mandriva 2007, but Mepis is
working (was working) pretty good till this hitch.  If I am unable to sort
this out, I'll switch over to some other distribution.

Regards
Vikas Garud