[PLUG] http://badvista.fsf.org

A G subscrive at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Apr 20 09:41:00 IST 2007

--- Nishit Dave <stargazer.dave at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 4/19/07, A G <subscrive at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
> >
> > <so much>
> >
> 1.  Vista can block unauthorised code execution,
> under the guise of virus
> protection.  This can mean that it will allow only
> software authorised by
> Microsoft or its honchos to run.
> Therefore, if somebody decides that vlc circumvents
> content protection, it
> will not be allowed to run.  If you have a pirated /
> borrowed copy of
> Office, it may not be allowed to run.  You may think
> that if you have
> purchased a license to Office, you can run it on all
> your computers, but
> Microsoft may not have the same philanthropic
> opinion.  Any software that
> Microsoft decides is being used by you without full
> legal authority in
> whichever jurisdiction may stop functioning.
> 2.  Vista will degrade performance of unlicensed
> media.
> Microsoft does not care about 'fair use' and
> interpretation of copyright
> laws in your part of the world.  It only cares about
> their interpretation by
> media companies, who are Vista's biggest champions
> and the only other
> parties expected to gain from it.
> There are many things such as these present in
> Vista.  When you buy a
> computer, you own it.  You then install an operating
> system in order to use
> it.  The OS does not need to have any right of
> judgment about how you use
> your computer or about morality, but Vista changes
> that.  Of course,
> Microsoft or Sony's right to a debate about morality
> is, well, really really
> debatable.
> contd.. part II
> --

While I agree that the above points 'may' occure, it
would be better if some hard examples are given. Else
the credentials of the accuser gets a dent.

Eg. MS talks of scalability of windows and how Linux
is inferior to its OS etc. But who listens to their
sponsered reviews and surveys? Cos they have lost
their credentials.

I only hope that fsf does not do harm to OSS with
SCOish arguments and claims.