[PLUG] http://badvista.fsf.org

Cosmic cosmicstop at gmail.com
Mon Apr 23 06:07:36 IST 2007

On 4/21/07, A G <subscrive at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> --- Cosmic <cosmicstop at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On 4/19/07, Nishit Dave <stargazer.dave at gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > > Part II
> > >
> > > Of course, both Vista and Linux are distributed
> > under licenses, but there is
> > > a major difference between their terms.  Vista
> > EULAs very minutely specify
> > > what you can do with it, while the GNU/Linux
> > licenses, predominantly GPL,
> > > only disallow redistribution of the 'work' or its
> > 'derivatives' under a
> > > different license, thereby ensuring that what has
> > once been 'freed' stays
> > > 'Free'.  It is a matter of copyright, and not
> > ownership.
> > >
> > > Consider it this way: you require a license to
> > drive your car.  If you break
> > > traffic rules wantonly, your license can be
> > revoked, and you would no longer
> > > be allowed to drive your car.  Software licenses
> > also intend to do the same
> > > thing.
> > >

> > "Would you buy a car with the hood welded shut?"
> > - Bob Young
>
> I see a remarkable lack of intellegence in some
> members of this group.

Okay, I was just quoting Redhat co-founder, maybe we both lacks intelligence :-P

> But, again coming back to the link, the points raised
> by fsf are false. People dont own vista - neither do
> people own OO or FF etc.
> fsf should argue that vista is closed source while OSS

Like cars with hoods welded shut is closed source

> give much more freedom to do many things with OSS than
> vista or MS office.

And cars with hoods not welded shut is open source which I guess gives
you freedom to do more.

Its just that I get it  better if someone used realworld examples
rather than tech terms which are not well understood by average/below
average intelligence people.

- Triptoe C