[PLUG] Modify console resolution

Nawaz Patel nawaz.patel at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 11:22:12 IST 2007

On 4/26/07, Ritesh Khadgaray <khadgaray at gmail.com> wrote:
> hiya,
>
> On Wed, 2007-04-25 at 14:35 +0530, Nawaz Patel wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >     How do I change the console screen resolution, I have a large
> > screen and 80*25 chars look bad on it. Options mentioned on web like
> I assume, you are using text mode for work
> Check out "vga=ask" kernel option while booting.

This worked. At boot-up I am asked to hit <RETURN> then I have to
'scan' for additional screen modes, which gives me a screen mode list
Mode:     cols/rows
b 0123 132x60
I selected 'b', it gave me a good resolution.

The problem is doing all this everytime I boot, I had previously tried
'vga=799' and other codes, but they don't work.

Can this process be automated, I wonder what the code '0123' means here.

> > using X and kernel recompile for framebuffer support don't work for
> > me.
> Is there a issue running X ?

I am running a bare kernel 2.6.9-22, and don't want to use X.