[PLUG] Re: [OT] broadband 2007

Nishit Dave stargazer.dave at gmail.com
Tue Jan 2 23:13:01 IST 2007

On 1/2/07, श्रीधर नारायण दैठणकर <ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net> wrote:

> Shudder.. I still remember when BSNL was the only telephone provider and I
> was
> crying to surrender the connection..
>
> shudder, chilling shiver running down the spine. :(

Speaking of ISPs, what's up with Exatt?  Their website at
http://www.xbroadband.in seems to have disappeared!  Following up on the
OP's post, I have re-registered for a DataOne connection.  This is the sixth
time, following all means: web, phone, physical form, starting since their
launch in Pune.

I have still not got any connection (although I do have the phone line).  I
have heard scary stories from people who do have a connection about the
extent of running around they had to do in various BSNL offices.  If BSNL
continue to operate in this manner, how will they manage to get good
penetration in metros?

Competition has done some good, though.  Youtele has announced a matching
scheme to BSNL's.  However, the bad news is that their operations are still
restricted to around Karve Rd. and Aundh in Pune.  I don't expect to see
VSNL / Sify / Airtel etc. match this for some time, esp. as moving from one
connection to another is very cumbersome and expensive, unlike dial-up.

Just my 2 paise.  Again.

Oh, and don't feed the....obvious.