[PLUG] some clarifications on GPL

श्रीधर नारायण दैठणकर ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net
Mon Jan 8 18:50:34 IST 2007

On Monday 08 January 2007 17:36, Yagnesh Desai wrote:
> Dear Mr Shridhar;
>
> My understanding is that the changes need to go back to
> the originator.

Not necessarily. Only if the change should be merged with the mainstream.

> (That's how contribution to Linux Kernel went back to Linus
> and he could add it in his next version to bring it to 2.6x.)

No. You can add a feature and publish it on web, without sending it to linus.
What you cannot do is call your derivative/combined work Linux since the name
linux is copyrighted to linus. Copyright is still owned by an individual even
if the software is under GPL.

> While its up to originator to add the Delta into his next version
> of software.

Definitely.

 Shridhar