[PLUG] Mini-Project in Linux

Nishit Dave stargazer.dave at gmail.com
Tue Jan 9 22:53:28 IST 2007

On 1/9/07, sudhanwa Jogalekar <sudhanwa.com at gmail.com> wrote:

> Finding dependencies and similar stuff??
> Just check out urpmi from Mandriva. (urpmi.org is the website)
>
> May be you will like to port urpmi to other distros..

Better read what I was saying first.  I suggested work on a GUI based helper
application that would fetch *sources* from the internet, determine (and
resolve) missing dependencies, and present a *graphical interface* that
enables selection / deselection of the myriad compile-time parameters that
the VLC source takes.

It would also involve a concise explanation of the various options and their
effect on the abilities of the compiled application, e.g. inclusion of
libdvdcss for DVD decryption, or libmatroska for the emerging codec support.

The VLC website does not offer a pre-compiled VLC package for Mandriva.  It
only offers links to EasyURPMI / PLF, where you will find *not* the latest
VLC, compiled as per the maintainters' whim / legal situation regarding
encumbered libraries.  The support for Fedora is even worse.

What you have suggested will not allow building the software from the
source, but a utility such as this could.