[PLUG] Setting keycodes for extra buttons on laptop

Devendra Laulkar devendralaulkar at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 3 22:30:15 IST 2007

Hi all,

I have got an Acer laptop (really old one), which has
a bunch of extra keys on the top, related to
email/browser, power etc.

Can someone help me understand the process in which
these keys can be configured.

When I press the keys, I get a message like (in the
syslog)

atkbd.c: Unknown key released (translated set 2, code
0xf4 on isa0060/serio0).
atkbd.c: Use 'setkeycodes e074 <keycode>' to make it
known.

I don't have any idea about the keycodes, scancodes
etc, so any resources pointing to the same would be
helpful.

Cheers,
Devendra Laulkar.