[PLUG] [OT] a question!

Nishit Dave stargazer.dave at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 18:18:35 IST 2007

On 7/18/07, ಓಂ <guru.is.on.vi at gmail.com> wrote:

> I know it maybe bit difficult to understand this need and an unusual
> request for the forum but.... is there any (internet) resource on
> pronunceations of words of many languages of the world?  something
> equivalent of babelfish translations but w.r.t. pronounceations..
>
> I am looking for two things...
> 1. pronouneation of many indian language words and
> 2. pronounceations of words of many international languages...
>
> Currently I am able to use internet to find the archives of words from
> some of the world languages.  I am looking for more
>
> Hence any pointers would be really **appreciated**

Try about.com, as in http://german.about.com

It has German language tutorials, and the initial chapters have
pronunciation guides / wav files.  I once had a French-English-French
dictionary (brick & mortar version) that had pronunciation guides and a
resource page explaining how certain syllables / guide symbols were supposed
to be spoken, but it still assumed knowledge of some basic words in French /
English.

And as you yourself would have undoubtedly proclaimed on countless
occasions, google is your friend.

However, only su can help you if you need guides on Indian languages.

I assume you have some trouble with French, and to some extent German, but
the latter is easier to speak if you can get around the excessively long
spelling.