[PLUG] Distros for a 1.66 GHZ, 128 MB RAM machine

Aneesh Mulye aneesh.mulye at gmail.com
Thu Jul 19 00:08:31 IST 2007

A friend of mine has a machine with an Intel 1.66 GHz processor, and 128 MB
of RAM. I'm looking for a distro which will have all the basic functionality
enabled/enableable (media/office/internet/drivers/system tools).

So far, I've narrowed the selection down to Puppy Linux and Xubuntu. Does
anyone have any experience with either? If so, which would be better suited
to the given hardware?

And which is more likely to support a Hathaway USB modem? I've seen that the
Ubuntu variants are exceptionally good at hardware support and driver
autoconfiguration. I don't know of Puppy, however.

Any help would be welcome.

--
धर्म एव हतो हन्ति धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः।
तस्माद् धर्मो न हन्तव्यो मा नो धर्मो हतोऽवधीत्॥