[PLUG] Hathway Internet On Fedora Core 6 Linux

Aditya Godbole aag.lists at gmail.com
Sat Jul 28 12:51:25 IST 2007

On 7/28/07, Nishant Shrivastava <nishant.newton at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>     My routing table doesn't show any gateway but the thing is what i should
> enter in the forst column of the route command and i am even not able to
> enter the gatewau thru route..gets some error..my gateway IP is
> 60.243.32.1and my for eg is
> 60.x.y.z....i have used ifconfig eth0 to assign my IP to my NIC
> card...netmask is 255.255.252.0..now how can i enter the gateway ip in
> routing table

Hi,

Firstly, please avoid top posting since it is a bit difficult to
follow on mailing lists.
Here are a few logical steps you should try (as root):
1. Make sure your hardaware is detected - lspci will give you your
hardware if it is detected correctly (I'm assuming it is a PCI
ethernet card).
2. Set the IP - eg. ifconfig eth0 60.243.32.x netmask 255.255.255.0
(unless the ISP has given you a special netmask).
3. Check the dns entries in /etc/resolv.conf. eg. - "nameserver
ip-of-dns-server".
4. Set the default router - "route add default gw 60.243.32.1"
5. Check whether your router is responding - "ping 60.243.32.1"
6. If router doesnt respond check whether your local interface is
responding - "ping 60.243.32.x". If it isnt, soemthing is wrong in
your hardware or your driver.
7. If the router pings, check whether you can ping google.com
(64.233.167.99 as of now).
8. If you can ping the IP, your connection is fine.
9. If you cannot ping 'google.com', your dns settings are wrong.
10. If you can ping 'google.com' you are through, unless you have some
weird firewall rules set.

The above steps are generic to any distro. Hope this helps.

-aditya