[PLUG] Detecting if the IP address is duplicated .

Abhijeet Sane abhijit.sane at symphonysv.com
Thu Jun 7 17:31:56 IST 2007

Hi Friends ,

I am writing a program to detect if the IP address that we are assigning
to a machine / appliance is already assigned to a machine on the network.

I want to know if I can use the ARP protocol to send a REQUEST packet on
the ether net frame and test for the presence of the machine on the
network .
My problem is creating the ARP packet . I do not want to use libdnet or
libpcap but use the standard libc for that .

[ A catch in this ...
The IP stack is not up at this instance.
The only thing is that the network devices are initialized ...
The only this i can use is the LLC stuff.
]

Any pointer on this will most welcome ( especially code snippets and
sample code )

Regards
Abhijeet

Some Reference I found on the Internet / Google

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6925079.html
http://www1.tools.ietf.org/html/draft-cheshire-ipv4-acd-04
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-jou-duplicate-ip-address-01
http://www.patentstorm.us/patents/5724510-description.html