[PLUG] Re: Open Office in Government

Anand Kulkarni kulk_anand at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 21 11:08:30 IST 2007

Hi Manoj,

> 'Grahak Raja Jaha Ho' is ready to take your issue
> seriously..
I am very glad to see your support in this movement.
We can come together on this issue and I am sure we
will find many open minded people who want to actively
involve in this mission.

> 1) To get all  information about funds spend for
> purchasing MS Office
> Licenses during the financial year 2006-2007.
>     We can get this information by using Right to
> Information Act 2005. To
> start with we can collect the information from Pune
> District.

I was also thinking in the same direction. But I am
not aware about how receive required information from
Govt under Information Act. If you help us then we can
certainly seek the details of govt expenditure on
proprietory softwares.

> 4) We can file a PIL (Public Interest Litigation)
> asking Why Government is
> spending Crores of rupees on MS Office Licenses when
> Open Office is
> available for free.

YES.. You are right. We must knock the door of the
court of law. But its a long process and will involve
some level of expenditure. So somehow we will require
to build the funds for this social cause.

I think its more advisible to discuss this issue in
the PLUG monthly meeting. Why don't you come for the
PLUG meeting on 07th April 07 at 4 PM?

We can have views of many PLUG members there and the I
am sure our discussions will be fruitful.

Thanks.
regards,

Anand Kulkarni
9422515760(M)

--- Pramukh Pracharak - Grahak Raja Jaga Ho