Network problems (was Re: [PLUG] Re: GNU India on the Microsoft scourge in Government)

Kaustubh Gadkari kaustubh.gadkari at
Fri Mar 23 08:33:53 IST 2007

> The fact that I can resolve only means that I can reach a
> nameserver that has the IP for The fact that I cannot
> ping that machine indicates that either the machine is down, or that
> there is a routing issue. The fact that I can reach
> from home indicates that the server is up and running. Ergo, there is
> a routing issue.

Aha..something interesting. It seems that the entire netblock for belongs to TIFR. So, all sites to that netblock, e.g.,, etc. are
unreachable from my univ. So it might be a firewall issue too.
Anyways, I'll talk to the netadmin here and post what I know.

Kaustubh Gadkari
kaustubh.gadkari at