[PLUG] Microsoft says 235 of its patents were violated by F/OSS

Nishit Dave stargazer.dave at gmail.com
Wed May 16 21:23:51 IST 2007

On 5/16/07, श्रीधर नारायण दैठणकर <ghodechhap at ghodechhap.net> wrote:

> I *think* US patents are valid in India thanks to WTO..

I should rephrase my earlier response as "Maybe, but" instead of "No".  WTO
cannot enforce an alien patent on what intrinsically cannot be patented
here.  For example, if it did, you might not be able to perform certain Yoga
postures, or grow certain varieties of rice, or use neem or turmeric
extracts in indigenous medicine any longer.

OK, the US patents on the last two have been invalidated now.

See this post on Groklaw about the Indian stand on software patents:

http://www.groklaw.net/comment.php?mode=display&sid=20050420124923704&title=Software%20patents%20stopped%20in%20India-links&type=article&order=&hideanonymous=0&pid=0#c303721