[PLUG] About playing music and video in Fedora Core 6.

Rohan Dighe rsdighe at fedoraproject.org
Thu May 17 14:10:36 IST 2007

/17/07, Prashanth <munichlinux at gmail.com> wrote:
> hi
>
> On 5/17/07, Monic Deal <dealmonic at yahoo.co.in> wrote:

Hey,

I am posting an indepth tutorial... Hope this helps

Add support for other repositories Fedora comes with a ton of software
but there are still plenty of packages of interest to most users that
are not included for a variety of reasons. This is where you find the
MP3 plug-in and a ton of other packages. Yum is now the preferred
update format, however the handy RHN icon on the GNOME task bar that I
like (but nobody else does) still seems to be tied to the old RHN
method using up2date.

Before you add repositories it's probably a good idea to make sure
your system is fully updated first. It's still early but right now the
Livna and freshrpms repositories seems to be the most useful. The
easiest way to get started is to install the freshrpms-release
packages:

# rpm -ihv http://rpm.livna.org/fedora/5/i386/livna-release-5-8.noarch.rpm
# rpm -ihv http://ayo.freshrpms.net/fedora/linux/5/i386/RPMS.freshrpms/freshrpms-release-1.1-1.fc.noarch.rpm

Install MP3 Plug-in

Since you've been following along this next step is about as easy as
it gets. Just use yum  to automatically install the MP3 plug-ins for
xmms and Rhythmbox like this:

# yum -y install xmms-mp3 xmms-faad2 gstreamer-plugins-ugly libmad libid3tag

While you're here you might as well install my personal favorite (this
week at least) music player Banshee:
# yum -y install banshee

The -y  flag is to automatically answer yes to any question. If you
want to be able to say no you can ignore that flag.

While you're there I highly recommend the grip CD ripper which
supports both MP3 and Ogg formats. Once again installation is quite
simple:
# yum -y install grip

Install DVD player

Currently I find the DVD player that works best is the Xine Multimedia
Player which is found in the Livna repository so installing it is just
this simple:
# yum -y install xine xine-lib xine-skins

This will install the xine DVD/VCD/CD player. Now to get xine to
automatically play a DVD upon insertion instead of the Totem player
which can't actually play DVDs, go to the System -> Preferences ->
Removable Drives and Media. Once that comes up select Multimedia Make
sure Video DVD Discs is turned on and put in the following for the
command: xine --auto-play --auto-scan dvd

Install VLC (VideoLAN Client)

Multimedia can be the achilles heel of Linux, but with just a little
work you should be able to play just about anything your friends can.
Besides Mplayer the other great video player is called VLC. It too is
trivially easy to install once you have your repositories set up:

# yum -y install videolan-client

Once the client and a zillion dependencies get installed you can play
a huge variety of video formats easy with the command vlc

If you want any more information please let me know !!

Here are some other very good links that you can always refer tooo
http://www.gagme.com/greg/linux/fc6-tips.php

Also a very interesting book which covers all issues is :--
Sams.Red.Hat.Fedora.Core.6.Unleashed.Dec.2006

if anyone is intereted just drop me a mail i will be plesed to forward
you the ebook.

Thank you,
--
Rohan Dighe
Fedora Ambassador India.

--
You do not really understand something unless you can explain it to
your grandmother.