[PLUG] Re: Please suggest software(s) for data backup on DVD+R.

yogesh ykchavan at gmail.com
Tue May 29 19:37:28 IST 2007

On 5/29/07, Atul Sowani <sowani at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/29/07, Vikas Garud <vikas at techqual.com> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 29 May 2007 13:42, Atul Sowani wrote:
> > > Gentlemen,
> > >
> > > Thank you for all the replies. I will try the software(s) suggested by
> > > use. I don't think k3b is of much use to me as it is just a front-end
> > > for cdrecord.
> >
> > The "About K3b" under "Help" menu identifies K3b as "A CD and DVD Burning
> > software".  The menu items under File > New Projects provide variuous options
> > for DVD projects.  May be, the K3b team should be taken to task for
> > mis-representing the facts.  (I haven't had any opportunity to burn DVD's
> > yet, otherwise i'd have done the honours!)
>
> Don't assume anything just because the menu shows something. It could
> just be GUI wrapper which just calls appropriate programs in the
> background! A quick search on google gives following information:
>
> "The actual disc recording in K3b is done by the command line
> utilities cdrecord, cdrdao, and growisofs."
>
> Probably you need to try (at least) to rip a DVD on Linux first.

I successfully burnt many dvds on k3b....even on slackware. As you
said, k3b is frontend of cdrecord, cdrdao and growisofs and growisofs
is dvd burning tool. k3b configuration tool gives warning if growisofs
is not installed. I dont think any software that comes in installation
cd will have feature menu that has no meaning.(or whose functionality
is yet to be implemented)
install dvd+rw-tools and k3b from slackware dvd, run k3b config tool
and you are done.

--
yogesh chavan

"Your job is being professor and researcher: That is hell of a good
excuse for some of the brain-damages of minix" -- Linus torvalds to
Andrew tanenbaum