[PLUG] Re: Please suggest software(s) for data backup on DVD+R.

Shantanoo Mahajan shantanoo at gmail.com
Tue May 29 21:31:16 IST 2007

On 29-May-07, at 6:34 PM, Atul Sowani wrote:

> On 5/29/07, Vikas Garud <vikas at techqual.com> wrote:
>> On Tuesday 29 May 2007 13:42, Atul Sowani wrote:
>> > Gentlemen,
>> >
>> > Thank you for all the replies. I will try the software(s)
>> suggested by
>> > use. I don't think k3b is of much use to me as it is just a
>> front-end
>> > for cdrecord.
>>
>> The "About K3b" under "Help" menu identifies K3b as "A CD and DVD
>> Burning
>> software".  The menu items under File > New Projects provide
>> variuous options
>> for DVD projects.  May be, the K3b team should be taken to task for
>> mis-representing the facts.  (I haven't had any opportunity to
>> burn DVD's
>> yet, otherwise i'd have done the honours!)
>
> Don't assume anything just because the menu shows something. It could
> just be GUI wrapper which just calls appropriate programs in the
> background! A quick search on google gives following information:
>
> "The actual disc recording in K3b is done by the command line
> utilities cdrecord, cdrdao, and growisofs."
>
> Probably you need to try (at least) to rip a DVD on Linux first.
>

>> > On the side note, I believe (sadly though) this is what Linux
>> lacks in
>> > DVD-backup as compared to a particular Redmond originated popular
>> > windowing OS - availability, ease of configuration and ease of
>> use. No
>> > insult intended.
>>
>> Your experiences with inability to use K3b for burning DVD's would
>> have
>> strongly supported your claim about "availability, ease of
>> configuration and
>> ease of use".  As of now, it is hearsay at best.
>
> Instead of trying to hit me back, just suggest me a package which I
> can download, (possibly compile), install and start using right away.

dvdrwtools is what you should be looking at. I have sent it in my
first reply to this
thread. Did you face any problems while running it?

http://google.com/search?q=how+to+burn+dvd+on+linux

Please try to visit the above link. Following is the link first link:
http://www.yolinux.com/TUTORIALS/LinuxTutorialCDBurn.html

Also you may find following link useful:
http://www.physics.emory.edu/~weeks/lab/cdburn.html#burn%20DVD

Let us know when you successfully burn first DVD. Good Luck.

shantanoo