[PLUG] Re: Please suggest software(s) for data backup on DVD+R.

Shantanoo Mahajan shantanoo at gmail.com
Tue May 29 21:31:16 IST 2007

On 29-May-07, at 6:34 PM, Atul Sowani wrote:

> On 5/29/07, Vikas Garud <vikas at techqual.com> wrote:
>> On Tuesday 29 May 2007 13:42, Atul Sowani wrote:
>> > Gentlemen,
>> >
>> > Thank you for all the replies. I will try the software(s)
>> suggested by
>> > use. I don't think k3b is of much use to me as it is just a
>> front-end
>> > for cdrecord.
>> The "About K3b" under "Help" menu identifies K3b as "A CD and DVD
>> Burning
>> software".  The menu items under File > New Projects provide
>> variuous options
>> for DVD projects.  May be, the K3b team should be taken to task for
>> mis-representing the facts.  (I haven't had any opportunity to
>> burn DVD's
>> yet, otherwise i'd have done the honours!)
> Don't assume anything just because the menu shows something. It could
> just be GUI wrapper which just calls appropriate programs in the
> background! A quick search on google gives following information:
> "The actual disc recording in K3b is done by the command line
> utilities cdrecord, cdrdao, and growisofs."
> Probably you need to try (at least) to rip a DVD on Linux first.
>> > On the side note, I believe (sadly though) this is what Linux
>> lacks in
>> > DVD-backup as compared to a particular Redmond originated popular
>> > windowing OS - availability, ease of configuration and ease of
>> use. No
>> > insult intended.
>> Your experiences with inability to use K3b for burning DVD's would
>> have
>> strongly supported your claim about "availability, ease of
>> configuration and
>> ease of use".  As of now, it is hearsay at best.
> Instead of trying to hit me back, just suggest me a package which I
> can download, (possibly compile), install and start using right away.

dvdrwtools is what you should be looking at. I have sent it in my
first reply to this
thread. Did you face any problems while running it?

Please try to visit the above link. Following is the link first link:

Also you may find following link useful:

Let us know when you successfully burn first DVD. Good Luck.