[PLUG] Please sign the petition against Microsoft's Office OpenXML becoming an ISO standard

ಓಂ guru.is.on.vi at gmail.com
Sat Nov 3 10:56:12 IST 2007

On 11/3/07, Vivek Khurana <hiddenharmony at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Nov 2, 2007 5:38 PM, ಓಂ <guru.is.on.vi at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Actually I think we need not worry much about M$, because they will
> > dig their own resting place as the time passes... for all we know they
> > may have started in that direction with launch of Vista...
> >

>  Not really, if you carefully look at the XP licencing M$ is forcing an upgrade.

Which is going to work in Linux's favour because with upgrade old
hardware will not work the way people expect due to enhanced hardware
requirements.  While Linux will not require you to upgrade hardware...

> > 1. Define output expected (expected output) ...
> > 2. Check everybody's program... if it meets the requirement of
> > expected output then they get passing grade
> > 3. Count number of lines of actual code (excluding comments) in the
> > working program submitted and person whose code has minimum number of
> > lines gets highest grade...
>
>  Point 3. is not a good criteria. Less lines of code doesnt mean good
> code. Its is not that easy.
>  Secondly defining expected output is not easy (also not possible) at times.

Try writing smallest code snippet for any given program output... you
will realise it is not easy to write a *small* program that meets and
does what it is expected to do...  It is assumed here that only those
programs which catch and handle exceptions properly will be
compared... so this is like "best among equals" kind of strategy...