[PLUG] techically OT but not..

Aditya Godbole aag.lists at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 16:12:01 IST 2007

On Nov 6, 2007 10:10 AM, ಓಂ <guru.is.on.vi at gmail.com> wrote:

> in my opinion this list is one of the **most** appropriate places to
> seek information about Linux (and it's mascot)!

With all due respect, you are missing the whole point here. The Linux
mascot is  not a *real* penguin. It never has had babies. Your
original question deals with real penguins. Its a bit similar to
starting a religious war because the freebsd mascot is a demon.

> This is post facto but google and yahoo did not give any valuable
> information related to the search I was doing.

Please mail representatives of google and yahoo then. Why this list?

> And if you feel the thread subject is inappropriate please feel free
> to start a new thread.. I believe that was the same argument presented
> to people while forming the name of the society.  But people concerned
> (at the helm) have left us to do rest of the work by deciding to keep
> name as *Pune Linux Users' Group* and adding GNU in the Objectives..
> Have we progressed any further beyond that?

Again, this is an old and largely irrelevant argument. Please count
the number of times GNU tools are used by people who use a desktop
environment. Its no longer just about GNU and Linux. The organisation
is here for the purpose of Free Software in general (at least thats
what I think). More often than not, the word 'Linux' is used as a
representative of free software in general because its the most famous
(something like Xerox).

-aditya