[PLUG] installed application disappears !!!

Pranav Peshwe pranavpeshwe at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 22:49:23 IST 2007

On Nov 18, 2007 12:06 PM, Chetan Kumar <chetanku at gmail.com> wrote:

> PLUG people
> On a machine running Mandriva 2007 I had installed gaim and was happy
> till I discovered
> that it is no longer there !!!! Nobody could have uninstalled it. It
> just disappeared !!! I used
> it some time before discovering this fact. Need to do some detective
> work to get to the root
> of the matter (ignore the unintended pun please).

If it has happenend only once, then it might well be an accident. If it
'disappears' regularly or multiple times, then there is some problem.
Something similar to what Devendra has suggested -  do a find or locate for
gaim. Something like`locate gaim|xargs file|grep -E gaim:.*executable`
should  find the binary if its there somewhere. An `updatedb` before running
`locate` would be good.
Check cron jobs if you have any. Check your console `history` for accidental
`mv` and `rm`s...

HTH :)

Best regards,

Love is like an hourglass with the heart filling up as the brain empties.