[PLUG] Announcing Fedora 8 Test 3 (7.92)!

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Oct 6 18:55:09 IST 2007

Vishal Rao wrote:
> On 10/5/07, Vishal Rao <vishalrao at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On 10/5/07, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> Official announcement at
>>>
>>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F8Test3/ReleaseAnnouncement
>> Yup, started the download via torrent as soon as I got home from work.
>> Will test-drive it under VMware server tomorrow...
>
> Tried it out, did a quick install and test drive, here are my ramblings:
>
> http://broadbandforum.in/linux/17155-fedora-8-a/2/#post119136
> http://broadbandforum.in/linux/17155-fedora-8-a/2/#post119185

Thanks for the review. There are couple of deliberate design decisions
which you might not have foreseen.

Auto time out on the initial boot login allows the user to set a
different boot loader option. For the target class of desktop users,
other boot loader options are unnecessary jargon and hence not shown by
default. The timeout by itself lets the user comfortably boot after
sometime without any immediate input necessary.

The auto time out on GDM/KDM login allows user to set a different locale
setting. All the major Indian languages are supported by default.  Auto
login by default can only target users who can read English and that
would be something to avoid.

If you are going to consider either of these as dumb choices (which you
are certainly free to), a more detailed critique would be better.

The desktop effects is actually the other way around. Fedora created the
option first in Fedora Core 6 and it got adopted by other distributions
later on.

Rahul