[PLUG] legality of restricted formats in India

Nishit Dave stargazer.dave at gmail.com
Thu Oct 11 16:22:36 IST 2007

On 10/11/07, Amit Karpe <amitkarpe at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 10/11/07, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> >
> > They are since patents on software is not valid in India. However
> > win32codecs aren't and you would need to use ffmpeg.
>
> Thanks .
> So we are free in India .
> Lets hopes India won't accept "patents on software" .

ONE good thing to have come out of leftists in the central government.
Well, Softies call us all communists anyway, don't they?

;-)

We have to be vigilant, though!  Big software or media corporations are
constantly trying to introduce and then enforce draconian statutes for
so-called IPR protection.  We may one day awake to find innocuous but
menacing changes to cyber laws, patent act, copyright act, anywhere, and
such corporations have the wherewithal to enforce them at will, especially
in a country like ours where the legal system is not robust enough to take a
balanced or informed view.