[PLUG] Setting up a mailing list (server)

Aneesh Mulye aneesh.mulye at gmail.com
Sat Sep 1 10:32:23 IST 2007

I'm looking for information on how to set up a mailing list server for
college-related work, similar to the one we're interacting with here.

It will consist of two lists:

1)An announce list, for one-way communication from the college to the
students (official announcements, things like that).
2) A discuss list, for discussion among students. This will be a MUCH
more informal affair, and much higher volume.

A requirement for both the lists is that it should be able to set up
tagging rules for each user. For instance, on the "announce" list, a
user may say that if a mail contains the tags [COMP] or [ENTC], it
should be sent to him. Or a user on the "discuss" list may say that
all things marked [OT] will not be sent to him.

The above is not a requirement set in stone, however. Even without
tag-based rules, it'll be possible to manage.

Size restrictions on mail are, I take it, something which can be set
up using the mailing list software itself. I don't want to enable HTML
mail because of the nature of the userbase I'm going to deal with.

I also want to find out information as to how to set up a web-based
interface to the list, such as we have on our PLUG list, for users to
manage their settings.

--
धर्म एव हतो हन्ति धर्मो रक्षति रक्षितः।
तस्माद् धर्मो न हन्तव्यो मा नो धर्मो हतोऽवधीत्॥