[PLUG] GNU/Linux on the move

Ameet Gholap amitrgholap at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 11:45:12 IST 2008

2008/4/12, Arun Khan <knura at yahoo.com>:

> On Friday 11 Apr 2008, Chetan Kumar wrote:
> > Hi all
> > How do you remain connected on the road with your GNU/Linux machines?
> > I am considering following options
> > - GPRS (Airtel/Idea). I have cell phone connections from these
> > providers - USB modem / Datacard (Tata Indicom / Airtel / Reliance).
>
> I just bought the TataIndicom USB data card.  I have gotten download
> connections as good as 15 KiB/s to as bad as 3 KiB/s.  I have also been
> able to browse web sites (page load time OK) in a car going @ 80Kmph
> from Delhi to Gurgaon on the highway. YMMV.
>
> --
> Arun Khan

Asking this quest just for my understanding... How does the speed of the car
related to the download speed?

My suggestion for the original quest... Idea/Airtel gives a constant 12 to
15 KBps speed. I have used it for almost 1-1/2 years.
Charges are approx 12 to 15 Rs/day and you can turn off the service anytime
with just an sms.
Unlimited download limit.
1 less device to carry.
If I were in your place, I would go in for that.
I dont find any USP of datacard.
Just ensure that your handset is edge enabled. GPRS protocol has speed lim
of abt 40 to 50 kbps (abt 4 KBps).

~A.